Homemade Spaghetti Sauce in 15 Minutes
Author: Kimberly Bither, M.S.
Recipe type: Dinner
Last month, I posted a recipe for homemade spaghetti sauce that my Italian friend’s mother shared with me. I decided to play around with it and make it my own. I’ve added a few ingredients and worked with it until I thought the taste was fantastic! Enjoy!
- Olive Oil (Light tasting or good for cooking)
- 1 Sweet Onion (like Vidalia), chopped finely
- 4 Cloves of Garlic (oh yes, never can have too much “Gah-lic”)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1.5 large (28 oz.) Jars Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp. Sea Salt
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- ⅛ cup Rice Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Heat a small amount of extra light tasting olive oil in a deep sauté pan. Heat garlic and onion until onion looks translucent (about 2-3 minutes). While cooking, stir and add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove onion and garlic from heat. Place in a food processor with tomatoes and puree, slightly (don’t over puree).
- Place tomato mixture into sauté pan and heat over medium- high heat until sauce begins to boil. Add in remaining ingredients and continue to boil for 1 minute or so. Reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes (or longer, if you prefer).
Top with freshly chopped basil and serve with your favorite pasta or meat.